Finite Element Based Analysis of Bolted Joints Under Extreme Loading Conditions
Phillip Prueter presented Finite Element Based Analysis of Bolted Joints Under Extreme Loading Conditions at the ASME 2012 Pressure Vessels & Piping Division Conference.
Below is a brief outline of his presentation:
- An analysis of a bolted joint subjected to extreme conditions (overpressure conditions) is discussed
- Useful in assessing safety of equipment under extremely unlikely accidental scenarios
- Useful in limiting the amount of leakage when the process fluids pose a risk to humans
- ASME Section VIII Div.1 – Appendix – 2 recommends the calculation of rigidity index
- Rigidity index < 1.0 implies no leakage
- Not meant to be used beyond design pressure conditions
- Based on elastic assumptions
- Cannot be used for leakage rate estimations
- An analysis of a heat exchanger subjected to a postulated overpressure event is presented herein
- Simulation of an overpressure event using FEA
- Estimation of leakage rate
- Comparison of FEA results with ASME rigidity calculations
Our Library is monitored and requests are only sent to business accounts.