Phil R. Eckhardt
Senior Specialist II
Years of Experience: 35
Education and Licenses:
- Certificate of Technology in Non-Destructive Testing, Contra Costa College, CA
- API 571
- API 510
- API 653
- NBIC Owner-User (expired)
Areas of Specialization:
- Corrosion in the Refining Industry
- Identification & Evaluation of Damage Mechanisms in Refinery Piping & Equipment
- Implementation of Risk-Based Inspection Programs
- Refinery Process Unit Corrosion Reviews
- Development of Detailed Equipment Specific Inspection Plans
- Assessment & Repair Procedures for Damaged Refinery Equipment
- Turnaround Work List Review & Work Scope Definition
- Practical Application of Advanced Inspection Technologies
- Fire Damage assessment per API 579
Mr. Eckhardt is responsible for performing damage reviews on Risk-Based Inspection (RBI) projects, developing fixed equipment inspection plans, performing piping systemization and circuitization, and performing heat exchanger bundle reviews in the API RBI software. Additionally, he serves as the inspection and materials specialist on mechanical integrity audit teams, and supports plant turnarounds providing on-site “problem solving” support.
Over the past 35 years, Mr. Eckhardt has been involved with inspection and corrosion issues in the refining industry. As Refinery Chief Inspector during the previous 14 years, he has implemented refinery-wide RBI programs in three oil refineries in North America and the Caribbean utilizing several RBI methodologies.
Mr. Eckhardt’s background includes 13 years as a Refinery Inspector in the Technical Department of a major oil refinery, and Chief Inspector for 19 years at three independent refineries. His focus has been improving the corrosion and materials programs in order to reduce pressure equipment integrity losses and increase long-term reliability. He performed damage reviews and implemented RBI programs; developed RBI and detailed inspection plans; initiated piping systemization and circuitization; and provided technical solutions in equipment design, metallurgy, and repair.
Mr. Eckhardt has implemented NBIC U-Stamp, R-Stamp, VR-Stamp, and/or Owner-User Inspection Organizations at three independent refineries.