Ryan Jones, P.Eng.
Senior Vice President of Business Development & Special Projects / Principal Engineer II
Years of Experience: 18
Education and Licenses:
- BASc., 1999, Mechanical Engineering, The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Executive MBA, Case Western Reserve University, 2016
- Registered Professional Engineer, Alberta, Ontario, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Manitoba, Newfoundland and Labrador, British Columbia
Areas of Specialization:
- Advanced Stress Analysis Including Nonlinear Finite Element Methods
- FEA Evaluation of LTA’s, Crack-like Flaws, Bulges, Dents, Blisters & Plastic Deformation
- Fitness-For-Service (FFS) Evaluations using API-579-1/ASME FFS-1 (API 579)
- Inspection Techniques for Pressure Equipment & Piping
- Code Compliance Calculations for Pressure Vessel & Piping Equipment
- Troubleshooting, Problem Solving & Technical Support for Shutdowns
- Failure Analysis & Investigation
- Root Cause Analysis
- ASME Code Compliance Calculations for Pressure Vessel & Piping Equipment
Mr. Jones brings a depth of experience covering the full project life-cycle including design / procurement activities, construction / commissioning activities, plant maintenance activities, and failure analysis / Fitness-For-Service / decommissioning activities in petrochemical environments. Mr. Jones uses advanced engineering principles and analysis tools to solve design or operational problems in the most practical, cost-effective manner. These tools include advanced Finite Element Analysis methods, piping flexibility analysis, API 579 Fitness-For-Service analysis and code or first-principle engineering design.
Mr. Jones brings a wealth of experience from his years working as a mechanical engineer at a large bitumen upgrading plant where he provided engineering support and leadership to operations, maintenance, and plant turnaround activities. Mr. Jones has worked as a project engineer, a plant maintenance engineer, a team leader for the maintenance engineering department, and most recently as an internal consultant providing technical leadership, failure investigation, and mechanical analysis in support of facility reliability.
He has provided engineering support of inspection, failure analysis, re-build and maintenance activities during plant turnarounds. He has also been involved in the development and implementation of technical specifications and standards. Mr. Jones’ experience enables him to bring logical, practical, and efficient methods to the management of projects and people, as well as, the solving of difficult technical problems.
Publications & Presentations:
- R. Jones, “ASME Masterclass: Repair Strategies and Considerations for Pressure Vessels and Piping”, New Orleans, 2014
- R. Jones, “Evaluation of Laminations and Flaws in Equipment in H2S Service,” API Inspectors Summit, Galveston TX, 2013
- R. Jones, “Waste Heat Boilers, FFS Case Histories,” API Inspectors Summit, Galveston, TX, 2009
- R. Jones, “Design and Inspection Considerations for Cyclic Equipment,” PVP2010 – 25829, Proceedings of the ASME PVP Conference, Bellevue, WA, 2010.
- R. Jones, “Design and Inspection Considerations for Cyclic Equipment,” API Inspectors Summit, Galveston TX, 2011
Member, ASME Post Construction Committee 2 (PCC2), “Repair of Pressure Equipment and Piping”, 2010 – Present